Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pond Thing

This past week, I walked down to the pond close to our apartment one day. And I saw the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a pond. It was some sort of large plant, floating in the pond, not attached to anything. The leaves were curled up so I couldn't tell what they looked like but the stem or trunk of this huge plant was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I felt like I was seeing an alien. Here are pictures I took when I showed Jack and Shippee the weird plant:




















After about an hour of searching on the internet that night, I found out what the mysterious plant was: it was water lilies! The huge trunk-like structure is the water lilies' rhizome, a root structure that usually stays on the bottom of the pond. For some reason this one had become dislodged.


On another pond-related note, here are some pictures of the 2nd baby turtle we found on our living room floor one day a few weeks ago:

No comments: